Friday, January 14, 2011

Seriously?

Yep. That is the kind of week I have had. You know, the kind of week, where you have these little conversations with yourself and the Lord in an effort to keep your sanity? The kind of week where you go "Seriously God? Couldn't we have waited for the heat to go out on a warmer winter day?"  The way I look at it, He knows our heart and our thoughts whether we say it or not, so why not just talk to Him about it? I wasn't ugly - just asking. But I quickly followed those questions with thanks for the fact that our upstairs heating was toasty and thanks for a home, period. It hasn't been the idea situation, but it is more than so many people have so I quickly remind myself of that and move on. No sense in dwelling on it. At the end of the day I am blessed beyond anything I could have ever asked for. And, if it helps any, I have these "seriously?" conversations with the Lord about good things too. Especially in times when He just knocks my socks off with his mercy. This happened not too long ago with Jordan. I was moved to tears every time I realized how God had protected Jordan from making poor choices. "Seriously God? Did You really just do that? You really do love Jordan (and all of us) enough to guard and protect his heart in this particular situation. I can never thank YOU enough Lord for watching over my teenage son in this day and time and under the sometimes difficult circumstances of his life. Please continue to watch over him and guide him and love him so that his desire to make Godly choices continues. PLEASE draw him closer to You through this situation. Thank you Lord for showing me in such a clear way that You and You alone have my boy in Your hands."

In addition to our little heating problem, Colt came down with croup / bronchitis (only a few short weeks after having a MAJOR stomach bug that resulted in a week of missed preschool, a trip to the hospital followed by a trip to the doctor, along with endless loads of laundry). He missed another week of preschool. Nothing like paying $90 a week for absentee childcare! It's a wonder the rest of us haven't gotten sick because you walk down the stairs and the temperature drops a good 40 degrees and I am NOT even joking. James has teased that he is surprised a thunderstorm hasn't broken out in our stairway because of the collision of hot and cold air!  It's so true! That would be a great science project for some kid out there trying to figure out what to do for Science Fair!! If the collision of hot and cold air is what causes storms outside, then what is missing for it to not happen in my stairway - moisture maybe??

Needless to say, the downstairs of my house looks atrocious! I have  blankets, pillows, anything I could find covering every window, door, vent, etc. We have been using space heaters to keep it bearable since that is where we hang out most of the time, so I had to do something to lock in as much of the heat as possible. Thankfully, the part needed to fix our heater is supposed to be in this afternoon. Hopefully I can start de-blanketing our house tomorrow! My family (especially Jordan) will be thrilled. . . as will I.

I guess that is about it for now. We are finally celebrating Colt's 5th birthday tomorrow with a party at the local bump-n-jump place. His December 1st b-day makes it nearly impossible to schedule anything for his friends because it falls right after Thanksgiving or on a weekend when so many people start celebrating Christmas early. Since it is his 5th b-day, I wanted to something a little bigger, so we decided to wait and do the party in January to make sure lots of his friends would be able to come.  He is super excited!

I will try to post pictures afterward. maybe even a video of my funny little guy hamming it up at one of Jordan's basketball games last week. They play music during timeouts and he loves to get his groove on! It is quite entertaining!

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment