Friday, January 15, 2010

Scripture Memory 2010

Many of you know that I particpated in a Scripture Memory Challenge in 2009 that was led by Beth Moore using her blog: http://www.livingproofministries.blogspot.com/    I encourage you ladies to check out her blog because it really is a blessing to me. Beth is hoot and I really just love her and her gift to write, speak and teach God's Word. Anyway, just so you know, on her blog, her female readers are not called ladies or women. We are proudly identified as "Siestas". She explains the reasoning behind this on her blog. . . so CHECK IT OUT! Anyway, I NEVER in a million years thought I would have the motivation to stick with the Scripture Memory Challenge for an entire year, but the Lord proved to me how much sticking with it would help me grow in my walk with Him. The goal was to memorize 24 scriptures for 2009. As a group, we would post our selections on the 1st and 15th of each month. As I sit here this morning I am happy to tell you that I was able to memorize 21 scripture segments in 2009! As I study my verses it becomes so clear to me how God used these verses to walk me through a very trying, tear-filled 2009. My way of studying them has been to use the dates because those dates pinpoint what events were going on at various times throughout the year. As I think of a particular date, it helps me remember what was going on at that time which in turn helps me remember the verse that I chose to memorize during that time. As a reward for those that stuck with the challenge for the entire year, Beth Moore is holding a private conference at her home church (First Baptist Church of Houston) next weekend. It is free for those that participated and since James' family lives in Houston, the trip is virtually free. I AM SOOO EXCITED!

All of that to say that in 2010, Beth Moore's blog isn't continuing the challenge for 2010. BUT, it has been such a blessing to me, that I have decided to continue it on my own. I have talked to a few of my friends that are also interested in doing it for 2010 so I am just going to do my own challenge on my own little blog.  I am not near as gifted of a writer as Beth or her daughters, nor is my little blog nearly as interesting, BUT, I don't care. All I care about is continuing something that has been spiritually fruitful for me. I don't have alot of extra time to participate in women's Bible studies or events to help feed my spiritual growth. This scripture memory challenge is something that I can actually manage and reap HUGE rewards from. So, there you have it! This is your INVITATION and CHALLENGE to particpate in the life-changing process of memorizing scripture. THe goal is to plant the seeds of scripture deep in your heart so that it remains with you always. Sometimes, it is easy to think that you can memorize one big chunk of scripture at a time. That didn't work so well for me. I have done better keeping my selections to 1-3 verses at a time. In doing so, I feel like I will ALWAYS remember the verses I have learned in 2009. I will post my entry on the 1st and 15th of each month (or there abouts). Please log on to this blog and post yours as well on those dates. Please include your verse, the translation (NIV, NLT, KJV, etc), and your name. If you don't have a verse in mind you can share mine or someone elses. I am excited to see this through! To help you in the process, I suggest getting a spiral bound index card notebook OR a spiral bound journal notebook to write your verses in. I also underline and date the verse in my Bible to help me in my memorization.

I won't be able to offer any type of earthly reward at the end of this year, but I hope the idea of the SPIRITUAL reward you will receive will be what motivates you to particpate and stick with it!

OK - In order to catch-up with the already fast-moving 2010 I am posting 2 selections today:

January 1:
Don't be concerned about the outward beauty that depends on fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelrey, or beautiful clothes. You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfaing beauty of a gentla and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. 1 Peter 3:3-4 NLT

January 15:
. . .but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good. Keep away from every kind of evil. 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 NLT

OK - let's hear yours!!!

Love to you all!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment